Saturday 1 February 2014

REVIEW: Starters

Starters by Lissa Price 


Author Information: Website | Goodreads
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Buy the Book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon
Summary (from Goodreads): 
Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man. He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined.

After finishing this book, two words directly popped into my mind. "Peculiar & Great". 
The very reason I read this book is because of the cover. I actually hate covers with close-up faces on them but this was an exception. If it were to be put in a bookstore along with hundred of other books, I'd probably pick this book up first because of the beautiful cover. 
Callie is not your ordinary heroine. She isn't annoying (Thank you, Price!), unlike other female main characters out there. She's smart, brave and witty when it comes to handling situations and she sets her priorities first I really adore her and I could probably say that she's one of my favorite female characters of all time. And Blake. He is the epitome of genetic perfection. Blake will really make the fangirls squeal and scream like a lovesick puppy.
The summary didn't quite catch me like the cover did. My first thoughts while reading the summary is that this book is not going to stand out. Well, the plot proved me wrong. Throughout the book, I was amazed with the series of events that took place. I kept on asking myself where this story would end up because believe me, this book is unpredictable.While reading Starters, you can actually feel all the emotions throughout the story. At first you'll feel pity for Callie, and then you'll be outraged by Prime Destinations, and the next thing you'll know, you'll be smiling like an idiot because of the romance. 
What I didn't like about this book is the lack of character description. To be honest, I had a hard time visualizing some of the characters because some features were not fully described. Another hate in this book is in one of the plot twists. *sigh*
All in all, this book is amazing. I found more pros than cons, which is great! The second book is out and I can't wait to read it! I'll definitely keep in touch with the series.
COVER RATING:

 PLOT AND STORY FLOW RATING:



No comments:

Post a Comment